SUPPORTING THE FUTURE OF QUEENS COLLEGE
Scholarship funds are a key component of Queens College’s efforts to help students succeed. Currently, more than 50% of our students depend on some form of financial assistance to help cover the costs of tuition and books. To this end, scholarship support is more important than ever. The goal of the Queens College Foundation is to make obtaining a college education accessible to students from all financial backgrounds. Scholarships supplement tuition costs, allowing students to focus on their education without the added stress of financial burdens.
Donors who are interested in supporting a scholarship fund at Queens College can make general contributions to our Colden Scholars Fund, which supports exceptional students in our honors program, or they can create a personal scholarship in their own name, or in recognition of someone who has made a difference in their lives.
Scholarship Endowments & Limited Duration Scholarships
You can make a dramatic difference in the life of a hard-working student by establishing a scholarship at Queens College. The Office of Institutional Advancement will guide you through the simple process of creating a scholarship and help you determine the basic criteria for your award. Donors with named scholarships receive periodic updates of their accounts, invitations to special donor recognition events and letters from their scholarship recipients.
There are two types of named scholarships you can create at Queens College:
- Scholarship Endowments
Establishing a Scholarship Endowment at Queens College is an opportunity to create a legacy. When your gift is made, it is placed in a permanent account that generates interest each year. The interest is then awarded to the student or students who meet the criteria for your award.
- Scholarship Endowments provide a permanent funding base from which awards can be made for generations to come.
- Scholarship Endowments can be established with an initial gift of $25,000 or more, or through gifts totaling $25,000 or more over a period of up to five years. Once the account principal has reached $25,000, the interest earned provides the funding for annual awards for generations of students.
- Additional gifts to a Scholarship Endowment fund can be made at any time by the donor or other interested parties.
- Limited Duration Scholarships
Limited Duration Scholarships make an immediate impact. When your gift is made, it is placed in your account at Queens College and awarded to deserving students in accordance with your scholarship criteria. The account does not generate interest like Endowed Scholarships. Funds are awarded until your account is depleted. Donors are invited to replenish or add to their accounts at any time.
- Considering the cost of tuition, books, and student fees, the minimum amount suggested to create a named scholarship at Queens College is $6,000.
- Limited Duration Scholarships can be converted to Scholarship Endowments by the donor if they choose, as long as they have pledged the minimum gift amount required for an endowment fund.
If you are interested in establishing a Scholarship at Queens College or need more information, please contact the Queens College Office of Institutional Advancement at 718-997-3920.
Raymond and Susan Held with their scholarship recipients